The Dragonboat

The "Look at this PFD (personal flotation device) tan" face! Oh dear, my hair down is like Pauly D with his hair down.

I woke up at the usual time, wake up at 7:30 a.m. to get to UCI at 9 a.m. But it wasn’t to go to class, it was for a Saturday open practice is dragonboating! Honestly, I’m surprised I didn’t just take the easy way and sleep in on a Saturday morning. But I got to school, picked up Anthony, and tried to find a parking spot without getting a ticket or towed away.

And then we met up with everyone else, a variety of ages, but mostly Asians, of course. There were a lot of people that showed up, around 60, which is 3 boats worth. I don’t really know how many were already on the team and who was new, but I met a ton of people…names of which I probably forgot already.

We headed to Long Beach after ice-breakers and deciding rides, which was half an hour away. I’ve never been to this beach, but this is where all their practices are. All the equipment and boats are already there. So we split up into teams, stretch, and get into the water. I think we spent around 3 hours out in the water learning a lot of stuff. We did drills, learned terms, and practices technique. I pretty much suck at it sadly, with all the vets around me trying to help me out. I’m so noob, which is pretty intimidating. And then we all raced and our boat won! It was intense—salt water all over my face and in my eyes and mouth.

After, we went to relax on the beach (in the shade away from the crazy heat) and clean up boats, gear, and ourselves. So then we played games, got pizza (I was starving and ate 4 hefty Costco slices, sheesh), and just got to know one another. It was really nice after the hard work to just sit there and talk to new people. Even though I’m antisocial and stuff, I tend to like nice people. Hehe.

I got home around 4 p.m. and took a wondrous cold shower. My butt, back, obliques, and feet are sore in places I’ve never felt. And it will probably get worse in the morning after I wake up. But it’s all pretty worth it because it was really fun family-building stuff (that I crave). I got to meet a lot of cool people! I ended up not napping, which I thought I was going to do, but I did do a minimal amount of homework before I couldn’t focus anymore and started catching Pokemon.

I’m planning on going to next week’s open practice, but I don’t know about officially joining and dedicating myself to it because I feel that my academic stuff is gonna get intense very quickly and that always comes first for me.

We will see.

PS I’m still sick. After all these days…it ruins all moods.

PPS WordPress wasn’t working last night because I went to go lay down during my draft, so then WordPress stopped working. So here’s the post that’s supposed to be yesterday’s. But today’s is coming later today still.

~ by Btab on 26 September 2010.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: